I’m Matthew, a 40-year old computer programmer and business enthusiast who lives in York, UK.
From 2002-2018 I was Managing Director of Bytemark, the UK’s cloud hosting company. It still runs its own cloud computing platform and provides vital IT infrastructure for thousands of businesses.
Peter and I founded Bytemark around brash engineering ideals - we built our own data centre, software stack and anonymous hiring process. Since 2002 we helped thousands of people put their sites and software into the cloud. And lots of rising stars in the UK tech industry came through our progressive workplace.
- I’m a director of theatre company One Tenth Human, producing science-inspired arts events like Arthur which won a Fringe First award.
- I co-own York Holiday with my wife Alice - we provide cosy holiday accommodation in York, UK.
- I’m preparing to launch a software product in 2020 which helps holiday rental owners with their accounting.
- 2018 Sold my company after building it up to 2400 customers & £3.3m revenue
- 2015 Designed and programmed v1 of Bytemark’s anonymous recruitment system
- 2015 Talk: Fair Tax Mark - a perspective from small business at the Fair Tax Mark conference
- 2012 Designed and programmed v1 of flexnbd, the network storage system that powers BigV
- 2011 Designed and programmed Bytemark’s BigV hosting platform with Nick Thomas and Alex Young
- 2004 Talk: Getting the best from your server with User-Mode Linux at UKUUG Winter conference
- 2003 Article: Dropping Windows with WineLib in Dr. Dobb’s Journal
- 2002 Co-founded Bytemark, an engineering-centred hosting company, with Peter Taphouse
- 2000 Programmed riscose, an experimental open-source emulator for Acorn computers
- 1998 Employed at Aleph One Ltd writing BIOS code, a complete UI rewrite & manuals for the last major release of PCPro 3, the PC emulator for Acorn computers
- 1997 Directed a production of Euripides Medea at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe
- 1997 Programmed Socketeer, an easy internet dialler for Acorn computers
- 1996 Programmed Swarm, a shameless copy of Crystal Quest, in Acorn User