My name is Matthew - I’m chief engineer at my own company Black And White Software. Our first product is going to be GuestRevenue, accounting software for the short let industry (it’s not quite done yet)
I co-founded Bytemark, which used to be a popular hosting company for Linux nerds.
If you want to talk about software, the UK tech business or vintage Acorn stuff, email me on firstname.lastname@example.org - I’m chatty!
And what else?
And I co-own York Holiday with my wife Alice - we have 3 nice holiday homes in our home town of York.
- 2020 Started Black And White Software to build software again.
- 2018 Sold my company after building it up to 2400 customers & £3.3m revenue
- 2015 Designed and programmed v1 of Bytemark’s anonymous recruitment system
- 2015 Talk: Fair Tax Mark - a perspective from small business at the Fair Tax Mark conference
- 2012 Designed and programmed v1 of flexnbd, the network storage system that powers BigV
- 2011 Designed and programmed Bytemark’s BigV hosting platform with Nick Thomas and Alex Young
- 2004 Talk: Getting the best from your server with User-Mode Linux at UKUUG Winter conference
- 2003 Article: Dropping Windows with WineLib in Dr. Dobb’s Journal
- 2002 Co-founded Bytemark, an engineering-centred hosting company, with Peter Taphouse
- 2000 Programmed riscose, an experimental open-source emulator for Acorn computers
- 1998 Employed at Aleph One Ltd writing BIOS code, a complete UI rewrite & manuals for the last major release of PCPro 3, the PC emulator for Acorn computers
- 1997 Directed a production of Euripides Medea at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe
- 1997 Programmed Socketeer, an easy internet dialler for Acorn computers
- 1996 Programmed Swarm, a shameless copy of Crystal Quest, in Acorn User