I’m Matthew, a 39-year old programmer and business enthusiast who lives in York, UK.
For 16 years I was Managing Director of Bytemark, the UK’s cloud hosting company. It still runs its own cloud computing platform and hosts thousands of web sites. I sold my interest and left at the end of 2018.
Peter and I built the company around engineering ideals - we made our own data centre, software stack and anonymous hiring process. Since 2002 we helped thousands of people put their sites and software into the cloud. Many rising stars in the UK tech industry came through our progressive workplace.
Do you have an business-critical web application that you want to move into the cloud but don't know how? Send me an email! I'll co-author an engineering roadmap with your team that fits with your business plans. I can write reliable code, perform mission-critical operations work, or recruit for your team.
I'm available from mid-August 2019.
- I’m a director of theatre company One Tenth Human, producing science-inspired arts events.
- I co-own York Holiday with my wife Alice - we provide holiday accommodation and short lets in our home town of York, UK.
- 2018 Sold my company after building it up to 2400 customers & £3.3m revenue
- 2015 Designed and programmed v1 of Bytemark’s anonymous recruitment system
- 2015 Talk: Fair Tax Mark - a perspective from small business at the Fair Tax Mark conference
- 2012 Designed and programmed v1 of flexnbd, the network storage system that powers BigV
- 2011 Designed and programmed Bytemark’s BigV hosting platform with Nick Thomas and Alex Young
- 2004 Talk: Getting the best from your server with User-Mode Linux at UKUUG Winter conference
- 2003 Article: Dropping Windows with WineLib in Dr. Dobb’s Journal
- 2002 Co-founded Bytemark, an engineering-centred hosting company, with Peter Taphouse
- 2000 Programmed riscose, an experimental open-source emulator for Acorn computers
- 1998 Employed at Aleph One Ltd writing BIOS code, a complete UI rewrite & manuals for the last major release of PCPro 3, the PC emulator for Acorn computers
- 1997 Directed a production of Euripides Medea at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe
- 1997 Programmed Socketeer, an easy internet dialler for Acorn computers
- 1996 Programmed Swarm, a shameless copy of Crystal Quest, in Acorn User