Hello! 👋 I’m Matthew, a 38-year old programmer and business person who lives in York, UK.
I’m Managing Director of Bytemark, which is the UK’s cloud hosting company with its own data centre in York. My old friend Peter Taphouse is its co-founder. I’ve spent my career learning management & leadership in a business that grew from engineering ideals.
I’ve just started as a director with One Tenth Human, a theatre company producing science-inspired arts events.
I’m also helping to organise the 5th year of the DotYork, York’s premier technology conference and a reliably interesting day out.
Some things I did
- 2015 Designed version 1 of Bytemark’s anonymous recruitment system
- 2015 Talk: Fair Tax Mark - a perspective from small business at the Fair Tax Mark conference
- 2012 Published first version of flexnbd, the network storage system that powers BigV
- 2011 Designed Bytemark’s BigV hosting platform
- 2004 Talk: Getting the best from your server with User-Mode Linux at UKUUG Winter conference
- 2003 Article: Dropping Windows with WineLib in Dr. Dobb’s Journal
- 2002 Co-founded Bytemark with Peter Taphouse
- 2000 Published riscose, an experimental emulator for Acorn computers
- 1998 Employed at Aleph One Ltd writing features for PCPro 3, the PC emulator for Acorn computers
- 1997 Directed a production of Euripides Medea at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe
- 1997 Published Socketeer, an easy internet dialler for Acorn computers
- 1996 Published Swarm, a shameless copy of Crystal Quest, in Acorn User